Sometimes There Are Those Cliffhangers

February 10, 2017

Hello everyone, and welcome to another addition of Jess's Book Talk. Today's topic is one that we readers have seen plenty of times. Whether it be a book series, the first book left open ended with the unsureness of a sequel, or the last book in a trilogy. It's when you get to the end of a novel and the author has decided to throw in a stinking cliffhanger!


via GIPHY

They can definitely be torturous, heartbreaking, maddening, emotionally draining, dreadful, and extremely agitating. I am sure there are more feelings to express, but in hindsight it can drive a book lover nuts. But in retrospect it's what also keeps things exciting. From the anticipation of what's to come with a storyline story and it's characters, to guessing and trying to theorize what may take place in the next book. I know for myself personally it can be a love/hate relationship with them depending on the circumstances at the end of the book or the fate of a favorite character. I just see where each and every book takes me and my emotions. 

Do you enjoy cliffhangers?
Let me know in the comments below.



10 comments:

  1. Definitely love cliff-hangers - unless they're at the end of a series or a book that never gets a sequel. Then they're just infuriating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate cliffhangers that are simply added for shock value, especially in NA books. But I do appreciate a really good cliffie. The worst/best Ive read are Shadow Kiss and Delirium.

    Nereyda│ Nick & Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one in Shadow Kiss was just plain evil! I defintely agree about the shock value cliffhangers as well.

      Delete
  3. I have a love/hate relationship with cliffhangers. If the next book is already out, then bring on the worst of the worst cliffhangers lol. But if the next book isn't out, then I'll usually yell nooooooo when I reach that final page lol But regardless, they never affect my rating,and they never affect me for picking up the next book if I'm not a huge fan of the series. And some of my favorite authors use them - like Julie Kagawa. :) So I guess I'm pretty even tempered when it comes to cliffhangers. :)
    Jen @ Star-Crossed Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Th cliffhangers in standalone books drive me crazy. But I defintely tend to have a love/hate relationship with them for sure.

      Delete
  4. The only way I enjoy cliffhangers is if the next book is already out and I can read it right away haha :P if I have to wait months or even years... then no, thank you >.< I just get too emotional when it comes to books.

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way a lot of the time, too Carla. Lol!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I feel about the same regarding cliffhangers! Definitely a love/hate thing...the only time I really don't mind them is when I immediately have the second book/next episode available. Other than that, it's just plain torture! ;D

    Great post, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I defintely need the next book with me after a cliffhanger. :)

      Delete